The Stuff of Life

The Stuff of Life
For those of us who find nature to be both aesthetically beautiful and life-sustaining.

Friday, June 13, 2014

The Garage Sale Survivalist and Prepper Hot Tips on How to Survive and Thrive on a Budget




In my previous posts, I shared the importance of being prepared. I've also written about the many reasons why you should have emergency kits in your home or car. Whether you are an outdoors man or woman, a wilderness survivalist, a prepper or just someone who values the importance of planning ahead, you can benefit from hunting the multiple bargains at garage sales, flea markets, thrift store,s auctions, and clearance aisles. 

Planning ahead and being prepared doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. The idea is to be prepared enough to save your arm or leg and hopefully the rest of you as well should an emergency arise. The first step in your bargain hunting process should be for you to come up with a basic list of wish list items that you think you absolutely need. The next list should include things that you really should have. The last list should be those things that you would really like to add. While you are doing this be sure and research and read what others are putting into their bug-out-bags, EDC (Every Day Carry), possibles-bags, all- purpose outdoors kits, emergency kits, backpacks, 72 hour kits and throughout their homes in efforts to be amply prepared for whatever life tosses at them. Use this information to compile your list as well. Weed out the items that you don't think you will need or that do not apply to your situation or where you live. Be creative and come up with your own ideas as well. 

Sometimes a helpful exercise is to walk through all of the potential emergencies and disasters that you believe you or your family could face. From there, begin to picture yourself in that situation and imagine what you might need as you go through your day-to-day activities in these emergency circumstances. Later, once you have some supplies and gear, you can begin to actually practice these situations.

Today I hit a few garage sales. I thought I'd share with you the goodies and gear that I found for cheap. I purchased a little over-the-shoulder bag which will work for a mini fire kit, fishing kit or to carry tinder. In addition, I found a great all purpose field knife by Mossyoak with a sheath. Then, I found a pack-away jacket for all purpose outdoors use which I plan to throw into my 72 hour bag. But, my favorite purchase today was a NWTF generator. The generator was brand new. All of these items I nabbed for a fraction of their cost new. The pack-away jacket has never been used and I paid only fifty cents! Keep in mind too that no matter how thorough your list is, you will find things that you hadn't considered before. The jacket is perfect for my intended use, but it wasn't on my list. 

So, the first step to anything is planning. Make your wish list, gather information and then start bargain hunting! Be sure and come back and let me know what bargains you found! 


No comments:

Post a Comment